Last week in the Jackson Library, fourth graders sequenced the events in Jan Brett’s The Mitten with the BluBot robot. We used Della Larsen’s TPT materials. The kids had fun and learned a lot too!
Last week in the Jackson Library, fourth grade analyzed the actions, dialogue, and personalities of the characters in Helen Lester’s Me First! to pinpoint descriptive character traits of the main characters. They used a Seesaw bubble map I created and chose between Pinkerton the pig or the Sand Witch templates.
Last week in the Jackson Library, fourth graders proofread a letter from a turkey. They worked in pairs on a Seesaw template I created to find the errors. I threw in a few extra ‘mistakes’ to make sure they were thinking! It was a fun activity and helped me gauge which skills need more reinforcing in the future.
Fourth graders used a Seesaw template I created to match dull “telling” sentences with their “showing”, descriptive counterparts. I found the descriptive counterparts in various library books. The kids worked in pairs to match the quality description from the books to their simple counterpart. To prepare them for the lesson, we read Moonlight and admired the vivid imagery the author created. Then we read a story I wrote about camp and discussed the ‘show, don’t tell’ strategy. For independent practice, they worked in pairs on the matching Seesaw activity.
Mentor texts used:
My Camp Story Sample Sneak in the Setting
Fourth graders were inspired by a read aloud from the Eric Carle book, What’s Your Favorite Color? I found this gem at the last year’s Scholastic book fair. After reading the story, the kids thought about their favorite color and used my template to brainstorm how their color might sound, taste, and feel. I love the imagery they used! As they wrote, we played the video of Hailstones and Halibut Bones for more ideas, since it has a similar theme.
Fourth and fifth graders problem-solved as they constructed catapults in the Jackson Library last week and this week. The groups were all given 20 popsicle sticks, 7 thick rubber bands, a plastic spoon, a pom pom, and these instructions. They were not required to use the instruction sheet; it was just a guide. After about 12 minutes, they tested their catapult (3 tries), and then went to the tables to redesign for about 5 more minutes. Finally, they launched their catapults again. It was interesting to see the improvements they made the second time around!
Last week in the Jackson Library, fourth graders used context clues and dictionary excerpts to determine the meaning of unknown words in Mo Willems’ Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs book. During the story, we analyzed Goldi’s character traits based on her actions and dialogue. After reading the book, the kids folded an origami storyteller to continue having fun with the storyline.
The week before Spring Break, fourth graders had fun finding the main idea of silly news articles. They worked in pairs with Vis-a-Vis markers to write a fresh headline for each article.
(11) Reading/Comprehension of Informational Text/Expository Text: Students analyze, make inferences and draw conclusions about expository text and provide evidence from text to support their understanding. Students are expected to: (A) summarize the main idea… [in a way that that maintains meaning]
This morning at 7:00 am, the 4th grade Secret of the Fortune Wookiee book club played a Kahoot review game, solved a Murky crossword puzzle, and created light saber cards! The materials you need are: template for card (below on the Left Brain Craft Brain site), 5 mm LED 2 prong mini lights, coin cell batteries , red straws (Wal-Mart), scissors, and tape. I already had the lights from this kit I purchased a while back. For the circuit cards, I prefer the Chibitronics LED sticker paper circuit kits. First, fold the cardstock and poke the prongs of the LED light through right at the top of the light saber hilt. Then cut a piece of straw (start out longer) and slide the straw on top of the LED light. Then tape the coin cell battery to the back, making sure there is a prong per side. This part took some fiddling to get right. Then cut the straw as needed. We found a longer straw made the light look more light-saber-ish.
Template and How-To from:
Another interesting idea found here.