Stop by the library today to check out some voting books!
Author: Amy Kincaid
One of the virtual assignments for the Jackson Library remote learning group was for them to watch Mo Willems’ video about his Elephant and Piggie book, I Really Like Slop! He puts silly things in his ‘slop soup.’ Then the kids were to take a photo of something they ate at home. Check it out!
Thanks to Jimmy Fallon for this get-to-know-you remote learning lesson idea! Using only six words, fourth and fifth graders summarized their summer in the Jackson Library Google Classroom.
Thanks to Spark Creativity, Betsy Mork, for her digital name tent idea and Google Drive template! The fourth and fifth graders are loving it during remote learning! Just post in your Google Drive, share it with your students, and share the link to it in your Google Classroom! The kids love it. Check out their creativity!
STEPS to post this assignment to your Google Classroom:
- Download the zip file to your C Drive
- Choose the Google Drive Editable Printable file
- Click the ENABLE EDITING button
- Right click on the assignment link
- Choose OPEN LINK
- It will ask: Would you like to make a copy? Click the blue MAKE A COPY BUTTON of Hi My Name Is
- The template will open. Click on the name of the file and rename it for your class
- Go to your Google Classroom
- Click the black +CREATE button
- Choose ASSIGNMENT
- Create the title and type the instructions
- Click ADD LINK
- Paste the link to the renamed assignment in your Google Drive. If you can’t find the link, click SHARE again on the assignment in Google Drive to get it, copy it, and go to ADD (paperclip) under your assignment description and paste the link.
- When you add the assignment link, be sure to use the drop down menu next to it to choose EACH STUDENT WILL GET A COPY
- Change the menu settings on the right:
- TOPIC: Is Week (1): August 17-21
- POINTS: I put UNGRADED
- STUDENTS ASSIGNED – I don’t assign it to certain stu
- AT THE TOP: Click black ASSIGN button to get the pull-down menu
- Choose SCHEDULE and set the date you want the students to receive the assignment
- If you change your mind when you want it to be assigned, you can go back to the black ASSIGN button and go to SCHEDULE and change the date.
Check out Betsy’s awesome blog!
Here’s an astronaut reading the book: If I Were an Astronaut.
Here’s how to play the asynchronous Kahoot game:
- Log in to your Kahoot account.
- Create the Kahoot
- Synchronous: Choose for virtual classrooms
- Asychronous: Choose for self-paced learning
- Choose the start end date time frame. Choose other settings. Make sure it says ‘Challenge’ instead of ‘Game’. Challenge means on their own time and Game is to play live.
6. Copy the URL to give to the kids.
Here’s the game I made for the kids to play to go with If I Were an Astronaut: